I’m not gonna lie, when I first saw my college roommate make scrambled tofu, I thought she had lost it. She was just a vegan hippy in my book and I couldn’t think of any reason why eating real eggs was so bad. And honestly, eating eggs ISN’T bad, but when you have hot flashes and need to add a little soy to your life, this recipe comes in real handy. Plus it’s a good source of protein without all that cholesterol. And honest to God, I LOVE THIS RECIPE now! In fact, I make this for my whole family and everyone loves it. So don’t wait any longer. Just try it. Trust me.
What I love about tofu is that it is a blank palate. You can add any ingredient and it will absorb and take on the flavor. Tofu its pre-cooked so really all you need to do is cook a bit of the moisture out of it. But make sure you buy the Extra Firm kind of tofu.
The key to making this look like real eggs and not tofu is turmeric. Turmeric is a version of curry. Just a dash really gives it a nice “yokey” color. That’s no joke! And the flavor will come from a rich vegetable bouillon called BETTER THAN BOUILLON – Vegetarian BASE. I have no ties or endorsements for this ingredient other than it tastes the best and I can’t find anything else that makes this taste like eggs. Other recipes you’ll see on the internet use nutritional yeast but I think is unnecessary and its not easy to find. Try this and let me know.
- 1 14 oz. block of extra firm tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon, Better Than Bouillon (Vegetable flavor)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the tofu block into a medium bowl into 1/2 inch pieces. Add the turmeric and the vegetable bouillon and give it a couple stirs until the turmeric and bouillon is slightly incorporated. It will incorporate more once you get it on the stove over the heat. But until then, set aside.
- Over medium heat, saute the chopped onion and bell pepper in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until limp and begin to change color.
- Add the tofu mixture and stir until the tofu loses some moisture and it resembles scramble eggs. Time may vary between 5- 8 minutes. Tofu is pre-cooked so this is really only necessary to heat and it through and combine the ingredients.Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with whole wheat toast and fruit or wrap in a tortilla.