Do you love Thai food?
Think of fresh, aromatic herbs like cilantro, basil and mint combined with savory-sweet sauces over fresh grilled meats and vegetables. With a sprinkling of peanuts? Man! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
When I first created this Thai coleslaw recipe and made it for a party with fresh avocado slices—I knew I had a winner! Most Thai dressings don’t contain oil, so the avocado adds healthy fat plus a rich creaminess to this fresh, crunchy salad. I call this “stealth-health.” Yep — just check the nutrition information below!
So let’s get started. I used Thai fish sauce in the dressing which you can find in the Asian section of your grocery store. It really enhances the flavor but don’t go buy a bottle just for this recipe.( Or if you are vegan). Use can just use some salt instead.
Perfect for a backyard BBQ! This salad makes 4 (2 cup) servings. So you can also eat it as a meal. I think a few slices of grilled chicken would be great on this. Or… serve just as a side dish. For a large party I would add another avocado as this could serve up to 8 smaller side salads.
IS THIS A POWER SALAD OR WHAT!
- 1 small head of Asian Cabbage (about 4 cups), finely chopped
- ¼ head Red Cabbage (about 2 cups)*, chopped (Ask the produce guy in your store to cut you a chunk of red cabbage instead of buying the whole head. A quarter of a head is plenty.)
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint, chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Red or Orange Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large California Avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- Juice of 1-2 fresh limes (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce (Found in the Asian section of your grocery store. If this grosses you out or you are allergic to fish, just add 1/2 tablespoon of salt.)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or agave nectar
- Get all your produce ingredients prepped and place everything but the avocado and peanuts in a large bowl. You want to add the avocado and peanuts last so they don’t fall to the bottom of the bowl when tossing.
- Make the dressing. Wisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Now add the avocado and the dressing to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Lightly toss.
- Crush peanuts in a little bit in a bag with a glass. Like this…
- Sprinkle the peanuts on the top. Serve right away. (You can prep everything ahead of time, but toss the salad with the dressing and add the peanuts right before serving.)
Nutrition Information per Serving (4): 208 Calories, 12.8 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 475 mg Sodium, 705 mg Potassium, 20.5 g Carbohydrate, 9 g Fiber, 9 g Sugar, 7.3 g Protein, 41% Vitamin A, 215% Vitamin C, 8% Calcium, 11% Iron
HI! love love love this recipe! Thanks for posting.