Hello… Avocado! At this time of year, you become my very best friend. You provide comfort. You make everything look and taste delicious. You are genuine with no faults. Plus, I couldn’t live without you! How could I? I see you everywhere. In every grocery store, every restaurant, down the street and up the street growing in neighbors yards. It’s California Avocado season here in sunny So Cal and I am so happy!
Lucky me, I was asked and paid by the California Avocado Commission this year to create a new “sandwich-style” recipe using my ole best friend the avocado. So I came up with this delicious Tuna Avocado Wrap. Twist my arm. Kinda my favorite thing to do.
Imagine this… a savory tuna salad with kalamata olives, red onion, lemon and a touch of oregano. Topped with creamy avocado and tomato. All wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla. I call it my Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Wrap.
Perfect for a picnic at the beach or even on a hot night you just don’t want to cook. It’s now my lunchtime favorite. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
This isn’t your average tuna salad wrap. Easy to make and easy to pack, this protein-rich meal also provides over 40% of your daily fiber needs along with an excellent source of potassium, calcium and iron. Now that’s a wrap!
- 1 12 oz. can albacore tuna, drained
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas, burrito sized
- 1 Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into quarters
- Lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- In a medium bowl combine the tuna, olives, red onion, parsley, mayonnaise, lemon juice and oregano until well combined. To assemble, lay one tortilla on a flat surface and lightly mash one quarter of the avocado in the middle of the tortilla. Then layer on 2 thick slices of tomato, a heaping half cup of the tuna mixture, and a few lettuce leaves. To roll, first fold in the sides, then roll from the bottom up keeping the sides tucked in tight. Cut the wrap in half and serve.
Calories 480; Total Fat 21 g,Cholesterol 35 mg; Sodium 910 mg; Potassium 790 mg; Total Carbohydrates 49 g; Dietary Fiber 12 g; Total Sugars 5 g; Protein 27 g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 25%; Iron 25%