Happy New Year! Heidi here. It’s good to be back.
Eric and I decided to do something we’ve never done before—spend the holidays on vacation. And in order to really be on vacation, we booked a trip to Costa Rica. It was a Christmas gift to ourselves and our boys.
So we packed our bags with bathing suits and shorts, and jetted off to Dominical, Costa Rica. Mission: Surfing with Santa.
Well, Santa didn’t show. Probably too busy. But we had a fabulous time anyway swimming and surfing in 85 degree water. Eating lots of fresh fish and drinking too many beers. Watching the monkeys swing in trees from our patio deck and listening to the geckos talk to us at night was the icing on the cake.
The abroad trip helped us slow down. Relax. Reflect. So we made some goals for the New Year to come.
Making goals are important to be happy. We need goals to measure success. As the saying goes, those who fail to plan, plan to fail. So I made a plan and I hope you did too.
It’s not too late, if you need some inspiration, here are some fun GOALS you can use for yourself. These are my TOP TEN GOALS. Feel free to steal them. Make a list and post it on bathroom mirror, refrigerator door or bulletin board. Then check it off as you go.
- Smile at strangers. Have you tried this? Smiling is a free happy pill.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes (5 days a week). Have you heard of Tabata? It’s really great. Google it.
- Learn something new. Like a new language. After visiting Costa Rica, Yo quero habla Espanol .
- Eat a new vegetable once a month. I want to try broccoli rabe, kohlrabi, and nopales. If I find a good recipe I will share it with you.
- Go to this “Points of Light” site and put in your skills and location. You’ll be surprised at what comes up and where you can help.
- Entertain my friends at home more often. My goal: once a month.
- Meet all the neighbors on my street. We moved here six months ago and we have so many more to meet.
- Lose 10 pounds. Yep, I went there. With a slowing menopause metabolism who doesn’t? But this year is bad. I gotta lose weight. (So here’s what I will do… I keep a food diary, focus on exercise (strength training), and drink less wine).
- Adopt a puppy. Wanted: small, fuzzy (non-shedding) lap dog.
- Start a new vegetable garden. Here is the spot. Now I just need to do it.
What are your goals this year? No excuses!
Happy New Year!