This week’s Beet Slaw recipe is super simple. Music to my ears! And, the main ingredient is touted as one of the world’s healthiest foods. Gotta love those beets.
As I’ve aged, beets have definitely become an acquired taste. But, over the course of the last ten years—I try to put raw beets on almost everything I eat because they add such a unique flavor to other foods.
This beet slaw is not only healthy, but is low-calorie, vegan and gluten-free. Try it alone or on plop it on top of your favorite salad or meat dish. Of course, if you combine it with meat it’s no longer vegan. Also, if you want a tasty little “cheat” – toss in some goat cheese and you have a really delicious combination.
Beets are in season almost everywhere in the United States. And, fresh is the always best. Enjoy!
- 2-3 large beets, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 c thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded and diced
- 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Mix together all ingredients and season to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.