What happens when one of the most important meals of the day meets a coconut? A new tasty meal is born.
Coco-Nutty Banana Oatmeal. I’m in love.
I know… it doesn’t look real and it looks hard to make. But stop right there! This recipe only has 5 ingredients. 1-2-3-4-5! (Oatmeal, banana, canned coconut milk, shredded coconut and walnuts plus a few optional ingredients). You might just have everything in your pantry. So don’t despair. I even made extra portions then refrigerated them for the next day and the next.
Funny thing is, my breakfast options have been in dire need of a makeover. So while spending time in Costa Rica over Christmas I was inspired. I was inspired by a food found on almost every street corner– a coconut.
What made Eric and I laugh is how the lightly sweet liquid inside this fruit became our drink of choice instead of bottled water. We eagerly searched for road signs that said, “Pipas Fria” which in English means “cold coconuts.” We were obsessed! Our beach trips weren’t complete without cold coconut water for two (straws included). Then later we scooped out the soft, pudding like flesh for a quick treat. It is one of my favorite memories.
So let me help you out of your breakfast rut. Or your dinner rut. Yep, we eat oatmeal here for dinner sometimes too. Just saying. Please try this incredibly delicious oatmeal recipe. Bonus: Its dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and high in fiber.
Pura Vida! Heidi
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1 ¾ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup light canned coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen brand found in Asian grocery aisle)
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- Shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 handful walnuts, lightly chopped
- Optional: Brown sugar and cinnamon to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, boil the water and salt. Stir in the oats and cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and portion into two bowls. Pour about ¼ cup of coconut milk over the oatmeal. Top with the sliced bananas, coconut, walnuts and brown sugar to taste. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Leave a Reply